The animal kingdom is full of fascinating birds, mammals, sea creatures and reptiles, each with their own set of distinct traits and habits. Learning some interesting animal facts is a great way to explore the natural world around us.
Here are just 10 strange but interesting animal facts you probably didn't know:
1. Flamingos are pink because of the food they eat. Shrimp is one of their main sources of food, so their skin takes on that pinkish color.
2. Most snakes never stop growing. This is why they're always shedding their skins, and can grow to be several feet long depending on the species.
3. A pot-bellied pig by the name of Kotetsu set a world record for the highest jump by a pig. Kotetsu jumped 27.5 in. in August 2004 at a farm in Japan.
4. The black bulldog ant is one of the few insects that can k*ll humans. It's found in Australia and is considered to be the most dangerous ant in the world. It can sting and bite people and animals alike.
5. Crows like to play pranks. One of their favorite games involves sneaking up on a sleeping cow, rabbit, pig or other farm animal, and making a loud noise to startle it. Talk about a wake-up call.
6. The bird-eating spider of South America is about 3.5 in. long and has a 10-in. leg span. That's bigger than the size of your hand.
7. The bug-eyed tree frog has to use its eyes to eat with. When swallowing food, the frog closes its eyelids and then presses down on the food with its eyeballs to lower the mouth and force the food down into its stomach.
8. Black cats are considered to be unlucky in the United States, but are considered to be a sign of luck in Britain.
9. Lobsters can live for up to 100 years. One of their most important survival skills is the ability to grow back a claw or a leg when they lose it.
10. A chameleon's tongue is almost as long as its body. It's also one of the few animals that can change color to match its surroundings.
Read up on some of these interesting animal facts before a road trip or simply to pass a rainy day . Learning about the natural world is a fun and educational activity that everyone in the family is sure to enjoy.